We're an affiliate
We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Thank you if you use our links, we really appreciate it!
Usually, you find dishwashers in basic colors like white and black. Most people want to change the color of their dishwasher because it does not go with their kitchen or if you are tired of looking at the same old dishwasher. There is nothing to be worried about, you can match the decor or cabinets of your kitchen with the door of your dishwasher by painting it with epoxy or enamel paint.
Can You Paint A Dishwasher Door?
Yes, you can paint your dishwasher’s door to give the dishwasher a new look. You can upgrade your dishwasher by using a liquid stainless steel kit. You can also use enamel spray paint or epoxy to give your dishwasher a pristine look. It may sound a little risky, but it is totally worth it.
There is a complete procedure for painting your dishwasher’s door.
Required Tools For Painting a Dishwasher’s Door
Collect all essential tools before painting your dishwasher’s door such as a paint kit, it includes a small can of stainless steel paint and a small can of gloss, and a paintbrush.
Any wipes can be used to clean the surface of the dishwasher’s door, or you can also use alcohol after all the cleaning to make sure it is completely clean.
A Blue painters tape is necessary to cover the floor and the cabinets to each side of the dishwasher or an old newspaper can also work to protect the floor and cabinets from paint. Sandpaper to sand the surface of the dishwasher and a microfibre cloth would be enough to wipe the dirt.
How To Paint Your Dishwasher’s Door A Stainless Steel Color
Replacing your dishwasher is not necessary, as you can give your dishwasher a fresh look by painting its door with Liquid stainless steel paint.
- Use degreasing cleaner or any glass cleaner to wipe the surface of the dishwasher, to remove the grease from the surface. Let it dry completely.
- Smooth the front surface of the dishwasher with sandpaper. You can sand it whether the front area is made of metal or plastic. It helps the primer to stick. Gently, wipe the sanded areas with a soft sponge or cloth.
- Cover all nearby cabinets with painter’s tape, If the dishwasher is placed underneath a countertop. Make sure to cover all sides and top edges of the dishwasher with tape to protect them from paint. To protect the floor from paint, put down any old newspaper all over the floor in front of the dishwasher.
- You can also use a clean rag and some acetone that will get rid of all the oil and the gunk that the paint does not adhere to. After that dries, go over it again with some acetone or green brillo pad.
- Once the surface is dry, apply your first coat with the foam brush that is included in the kit.
- Each coat has to dry for about an hour. So keep your foam brush in a Ziploc baggie to keep it fresh.
- Apply each additional coat the same way starting at the edges and working your way to the front and keep in mind that each coat has to be applied lightly.
- Apply four to five coats. If there is any debris in your paint, you can carefully pick it out with a razor blade.
- Now you are going to have to let this dry for about two hours before applying your top coat. You can apply the top coat with the same foam brush after cleaning it with some water. Apply a topcoat the same way you did your base coat like starting with the edges and working your way to the front.
How to Paint the Dishwasher
Using An Epoxy Paint
Epoxy paints provide a tough, durable protective coating that is easy to maintain because of their unique properties, epoxy paint is corrosion-resistant and also resistant to chemicals. It is easy as a DIY project. You can use amazing epoxy paints like Appliance Epoxy to paint the door of your dishwasher. Before all else, make sure that you cover up your space very well, also the smell is very strong so you will need to ventilate your room. Therefore make sure to turn on the fan or open the window.
Before you spray paint on the door of your dishwasher, make sure that you take a picture of the labels because you will need that later. So now, let it dry for about 30 minutes and then apply the second coat. Leave the second coat for five to nine hours to dry out and place the label on control.
Using An Enamel Paint
You can use enamel to paint the door or front panel of your dishwasher.
- First of all, clean the surface of the dishwasher thoroughly with soapy water and an abrasive sponge, dry it with a towel.
- Use sandpaper to scuff the surface of the painted door.
- Wipe the surface of the dishwasher with a microfibre cloth.
- Cover all the surroundings that you do not want to paint, mainly the control panel.
- Wipe the surface with a degreaser and leave it for a few minutes.
- Use enamel primer to spray the surface of the dishwasher.
- Use FolkArt Gloss Enamel to paint the door of your dishwasher.
- Overlap each left to right stroke to ensure adequate coverage.
- The more topcoats you apply the glossy your finish will be in the end.
- Leave it for at least 24 hours for it to dry before you use the dishwasher.
If your dishwasher does not go with your kitchen’s furnishing or if you are bored of looking at the same dishwasher, give it a new fresh look. It is easier than you might think. You can transform the door of your dishwasher to match it with the cabinets and decor of your kitchen by painting it with stainless steel paint, epoxy, or enamel paint. To start the process, cover the surrounding area with painters tape or an old newspaper.
Also, cover the control panel with tape to keep it readable after the paint. After that apply paint coatings all over the door of your dishwasher and read all the instructions on the can to avoid any blunder. Next, remove all the tape from the surrounding areas to reveal your new-looking dishwasher.