Products that can cause dish soap poisoning range from simple soaps to products containing a chemical called amine oxide. They can be harmful if somebody drinks or eats them accidentally. Prolonged exposure to soap or household cleaning products can lead to poisoning. When an adult experiences accidental poisoning while cleaning at home or work, it is often because they do not follow proper product use instructions.
Children have a much higher risk of poisoning by dish soap products as they are likely to drink or eat toxic products because they are unaware of the danger in doing so. The soap inside the pods can cause vomiting, wheezing, gasping, rashes, and severe drowsiness in children. Some of the breathing problems associated with these pods are serious enough to require the assistance of a ventilator. People have also reported eye injuries when dish soap gets in a child’s eyes.
Can You Drink Dish Soap?
No, dish soap is not safe to drink or eat. Just because soap is made to be food-grade or non-toxic doesn’t mean that it is food. Dish soap can be highly toxic and even fatal if dish soap is inhaled or swallowed. You should not consume any type of soap in large quantities, no matter what it’s made of. If you accidentally swallow dish soap, you may experience symptoms like an upset stomach, diarrhea and vomiting.
Accidental Dish Soap Poisoning
Contact with dish soaps that contain strong and harsh chemicals can cause accidental soap poisoning. People often don’t realize the strength of the products they’re using. Most shampoos as well as hand and body soaps are minimally poisonous in small amounts, but they can irritate the eyes and cause symptoms of nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea if ingested.
Dish Soap not intended to clean the dishes is poisonous if ingested. Swallowing or inhaling these highly toxic products can result in life-threatening symptoms. If someone you know is experiencing soap poisoning, immediately take them to the hospital.
How To Recognize Symptoms Of Soap Poisoning
The symptoms of soap poisoning depend on a few things including the product, how much a person has swallowed or inhaled, and how much contact there was with the product. The symptoms of soap poisoning are swelling of the throat, lips, and tongue; severe stomach pain, and low blood pressure.
Here are a few common symptoms that you may experience:
-If soap gets in your eyes, you may experience eye redness, pain, loss of vision, or have difficulty focusing because the chemicals may burn.
-If the soap or detergent comes in contact with your skin, you may develop irritation, blisters, or even burns on the top layer of your skin.
-If you inhale fumes from soap products, you may have difficulty breathing or experience swelling in your throat. Difficulty breathing or swallowing can be life threatening.
Treatment For Poisoning Of Dish Soap
First of all, we recommend you to go to a hospital or medical professional for better treatment. They will check your pulse rate, blood pressure, breathing and temperature. You should tell your doctor right away if you know how much or what kind of exposure you’ve had to dish soap.
Poisoning can be life-threatening. You must get treatment immediately to help prevent severe complications, including brain damage and tissue death.
Treatment for soap poisoning depends on how you’ve been exposed to the chemical products.
The treatment for soap poisoning may include pain medication, a breathing tube, intravenous fluids, oxygen, removal of any burned skin, skin irrigation, or washing the skin thoroughly, and bronchoscopy, which involves threading a camera down your throat to check for damage in the lungs and airways.
Tips To Avoid Soap Poisoning
- Make sure you aren’t accidentally ingesting or inhaling dish soap.
- Be careful of the chemicals you’re using to clean your dishes.
- Take breaks to avoid being in contact with the dish soap product for too long.
- You should also keep soap, detergents, and other household cleaners safely locked away and out of children’s reach.
- Make sure you put any dish soap and household cleaners away again after using them. Don’t leave them out on a counter where they’re within your child’s reach.
- You can also try using baby locks on your cabinets and drawers. There are several options available depending on the type of cabinet you want to secure, and they work well.
- Parents of young children should be especially aware of single-load dish detergent for your dishwasher or laundry. These can be tempting for toddlers, and they’re also particularly dangerous.
- When the bottle or package is empty, and you’re ready to discard it, be sure to rinse it thoroughly and throw it away safely.
Side Effects of Eating Dish Soap
Eating dish soap can have some harmful side effects. Eating a small amount of soap might not do permanent damage to your body, but it really depends on what type of soap you ingest and how much.
Nausea, Diarrhea and Vomiting
Almost all dish soaps have a highly alkaline pH, which means eating them can upset your digestion and irritate the lining of your digestive tract. Also, dish soaps typically contain acids (like Lauric acid or Stearic acid) as well as ingredients that come from plants (like essential oils and fragrances). Even if these ingredients are “all-natural,” they are not food-grade.
That means eating soap can lead to more than a little discomfort, as well as vomiting. Your body may have difficulty digesting the soap, which can cause diarrhea or even blood in your stool.
Inflammation In Other Parts of Your Body
Eating dish soap can cause your tongue, throat, and other parts of your body to swell. This can be a temporary reaction to harsh ingredients in the dish soap or a symptom of an allergy. Either way, it can be uncomfortable and, in some cases, make it difficult to breathe or swallow.
Part of your liver’s job is to filter toxins out of your bloodstream so that those toxins don’t harm your organs. Eating a large amount of dish soap puts stress on your liver as it works to get non-edible ingredients out of your body.
Increased Risk Of Cancer
Some ingredients of dish soap are fine when applied topically but are known to act as carcinogens when they are ingested on a regular basis.
- It is important to be careful when using and storing soap products, especially those used for cleaning.
- Windows should be open when cleaning, and it is important for people to take breaks to avoid spending long periods of time using a cleaning product.
- Soaps, detergents, and cleaning products should be locked up out of the reach of children, as many of these products are attractive to children. They are also very dangerous.
- It is essential to put soaps and cleaners away after cleaning. Accidents happen when adults forget to put cleaning products away, and children reach for them. It is also a good idea to rinse out bottles and packages when are they are empty before putting them in the trash.